Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Hans on Amazon

I'm so excited! My next book is already up on Amazon and available for pre-order, even though the publication date is January 2012. Link through to see the cover art.

Hans My Hedgehog is a retelling of a Grimms' fairy tale, illustrated by the marvelous John Nickle. It's the story of a farmer and his wife who so long for a baby that the farmer exclaims he wants a son even if it's half hedgehogand that's exactly what happens. Hans grows up to be a fiddler, and he has a particular knack with pigs. Lonely because none of the village girls will talk to him, he goes off to live in the magical forest. There he helps two kings in return for two promises...

Anyway, it's very fun to see Hans out in the world already. (I have the page proofs, and the art is just wonderful. Yay, John!)

4/13/11 update: Someone's trying to sell a "used" copy of Hans (galleys?) for $1462.32. Yikes!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! It looks like an adorable tale.

Anamaria (bookstogether) said...

That is a gorgeous cover! I'm already looking forward to seeing--and reading!--the rest of the book. That's not your very own hedgehog in the pic, is it??

Catherine said...

Cover looks great! Congratulations! I've always liked hedgehogs. Wish I could roll up in a ball when the going gets tough.

Tanya said...

Wow! Fabulous! Congratulations on being paired with the perfect illustrator. I didn't realize he did the artwork for 'The Ant Bully" also! Can't wait to read it at story time.

Jennifer Morian Frye said...

I really like that one, and am looking forward to reading your re-telling! : ) Also, Hedgehogs are so cute!

Anonymous said...

That is a great cover. It sounds like a wonderful story too. Can't wait!

Kate Coombs said...

Thanks, everyone! The editor told me the original story is "violent and meandering," and I have to agree. But the overall concept is very cool! (I do things like make Hans into a sort of pig Pied Piper instead of letting him turn his herd into ham.)

I wish I had a hedgehog, but alas, no. Just a little statue of one. :)

LinWash said...

Congratulations! I love the Grimm brothers story so I'd love to read your book.