Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Progressive Poem - What's My Line?

Yep, I'm the Day 11 poet! We've got so many nice lines building our Progressive Poem this lovely National Poetry Month. I'm especially happy to follow Julie Larios, whose line gives me the shivers. (The good kind!) Here's the poem so far, with my line added. A schedule of Progressive Poem posts follows, along with a few notes.


If you are reading this
you must be hungry
Kick off your silver slippers
Come sit with us a spell

A hanky, here, now dry your tears
And fill your glass with wine
Now, pour. The parchment has secrets
Smells of a Morrocan market spill out.

You have come to the right place, just breathe in.
Honey, mint, cinnamon, sorrow. Now, breathe out
last week's dreams. Take a wish from the jar.



Progressive Poem Schedule

1 Irene at Live Your Poem
2 Doraine at Dori Reads
3 Jeannine at View from a Window Seat
4 Robyn at Read, Write, Howl
5 Susan at Susan Taylor Brown
6 Mary Lee at A Year of Reading
7 Penny at A Penny and her Jots
8 Jone at Deo Writer
9 Gina at Swagger Writer's
10 Julie at The Drift Record
11 Kate at Book Aunt
12 Anastasia Suen at Booktalking
13 Tabatha at The Opposite of Indifference
14 Diane at Random Noodling
15 Ruth at There is No Such Thing as a Godforsaken Town
16 Natalie at Wading Through Words
17 Tara at A Teaching Life
18 Amy at The Poem Farm
19 Lori at Habitual Rhymer
20 Heidi at My Juicy Little Universe
21 Myra at Gathering Books
22 Pat at Writer on a Horse
23 Miranda at Miranda Paul Books
24 Linda at TeacherDance
25 Greg at Gotta Book
26 Renee at No Water River
27 Linda at Write Time
28 Caroline at Caroline by Line
29 Sheri at Sheri Doyle
30 Irene at Live Your Poem



Like Julie, I am pleased by the air of mystery in this poem. It's also intriguing to see what everyone's been doing with what, so far, is a second person POV. The four-line stanzas make a nice way of structuring a longish poem like this one. I find myself picturing... well, read my line and see what you think. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens in the lines yet to come. Next up, Anastasia Suen at Booktalking!

19 comments:

Robyn Hood Black said...

How wonderful, Kate! I couldn't wait to see how you were going to continue "breathe out" - this is perfect. And a jar of wishes? Mmmm....

Sheri Doyle said...

I love how this is developing.

Tabatha said...

Very nice, Kate!

Should there be a space between "spill" and "out" on the eighth line?

Renee LaTulippe said...

Ooh, I like that jar of wishes, Kate! And clever continuation of "breathe out" - this is such fun!

KateCoombs said...

Tabatha--Thanks! I do think there should be a space there, but it's how Jone wrote it, so I was hesitant to make a change.

Renee--Isn't it? Can't wait to see the whole poem!

Linda B said...

Now you've place an aura of intrigue with the host too, Kate. Who is she & why is she so willing to be welcoming? What does she want? Or-is it a she? Thanks for making more ?'s pop up!

rockinlibrarian said...

You will please post a link to remind us to read the whole thing when then poem is all finished, won't you?

KateCoombs said...

Good idea, Amy! I'll try to remember.

Regina said...

What a great line! Such a nice way to bring it together. Love the jar of wishes!

Doraine said...

Perfect line! I love the idea of breathing out old dreams and looking for new wishes. A jar full.

Jone said...

Wonderful addition. Love the jar of wishes as well.

Amy LV said...

A wish jar? A wish jar! Oh, I want to pick a wish. This is one delicious line...how lucky the next writer is! Lovely! a.

Julie said...

Love the idea of breathing out old dreams! You've taken it a great direction, Kate.

KateCoombs said...

Thanks, you guys! Off to go see today's line... :)

Tabatha said...

I just checked and she actually did have a space originally, but it got left out later. Just wanted to let you know so you wouldn't think I was just messing with it when I have a space tomorrow!

KateCoombs said...

Tabitha, the space wasn't there when I checked Tuesday night, but I think Jone has fixed it since then. I noticed she left a note for Anastasia to change it, as well. I'll probably make the correction in my post tonight now that we've gotten the go-ahead. Thanks for letting me know. :)

Susan Taylor Brown said...

oooh, I want to pull a wish from the jar, please?

Great line.

Penny Parker Klostermann said...

I love this line! Great job!

Mary Lee said...

Hooray for wishes!