Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Amelia Bloomer Project

Okay first, I'm very pleased that my book, The Runaway Dragon, made this list of recommended titles for 2011. And second, the whole list is a great resource. Best of all, it's annotated.

In case you've never heard of the project, here's how it's described on their blog:
Welcome to the Amelia Bloomer Project blog! We create an annual booklist of the best feminist books for young readers, ages birth through 18. We are part of the Feminist Task Force of the Social Responsibilities Round Table of the American Library Association!

So take a look at the list—you know you want to!

Photo of Amelia Bloomer borrowed from the project blog. This nineteenth-century American feminist was the inspiration for the word "bloomers."

14 comments:

Charlotte said...

Yay for the Runaway Dragon!

Tabatha said...

Thanks for sharing this link -- I'm enjoying looking at their list.

Kate Coombs said...

Thanks, Charlotte! And Tabatha, I'm glad you like the list. It brought some titles to my attention that I hadn't been aware of.

Catherine said...

What a great resource! Thanks for sharing. I'll recommend some of the books to my 9-year-old niece.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Kate! You should feel very proud to be part of such a wonderful list. I always make sure to check it.

brenda

kathrynjankowski said...

First, congratulations, Kate!
Second, thanks for the info about this project. Can't wait to visit.

Anonymous said...

Yay! Congratulations and thanks for the link.

Kate Coombs said...

Thanks, you guys. It's a very cool list!

Debbie Diesen said...

That's wonderful news! And what a great book list. Lots of titles I'm going to have to go check out!

Susan Kaye Quinn said...

Thanks for the tip and congrats on making the list! :)

Doret said...

Congratulations. The Bloomer project always selects great titles.

I love how it looks like Ameila Bloomer just finshed popping her collar or strutting like a peacock.

Plus, Bloomer's got the serious face on like she's really going to break it down and no one is ready for it. And she was probably right hence this wonderful list in her honor.

The Pen and Ink Blogspot said...

Congratulations on your listing. If I admit that I find Amelia Bloomer's photo quite fetching, does that make me a sexist?
Sincerely,
Lupe (Named After the Virgin Mary) F.

Kate Coombs said...

Thank you, everyone. And Doret and Lupe, I also LOVE the AB photo! It's too bad Wiki has a grim old lady photo of her instead of this positively sassy one. (Funny, Lupe!)

Carmela Martino said...

Congratulations, Kate, and thanks for the link to the list. I wasn't familiar with it.
Carmela