Monday, January 10, 2011

Announcing the Winners!

And once again, the Newbery committee baffles everybody... No, really, the ALSC awards were just announced, and as promised, there were a few surprises. Though in my opinion, the Newbery winner does fit a certain profile: realistic fiction, often historical, and not a book in a series. (Think Criss-Cross, Kira-Kira, The Higher Power of Lucky, etc.) Here's a partial list of the award winners.

Newbery Award: Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool

Newbery Honors: Dark Emperor by Joyce Sidman (poetry collection), Heart of a Samurai by Margi Preus, One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-Garcia, and Turtle in Paradise by Jennifer L. Holm

Caldecott Award: A Sick Day for Amos McGee by Philip C. Stead, illustrated by Erin Stead

Caldecott Honors: Dave the Potter by Laban Carrick with illustrations by Bryan Collier; Interrupting Chicken by David Ezra Stein

Printz Award (teen/YA): Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi

Printz Honors: Stolen by Lucy Christopher, Nothing by Janne Teller (translated by Martin Aitken), Revolver by Marcus Sedgwick, and Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King

Geisel Award (early reader): Bink and Gollie by Kate DiCamillo and Alison McGhee, illustrated by Tony Fucile

Geisel Honors: We Are in a Book! by Mo Willems and Ling and Ting: Not Exactly the Same by Grace Lin

Coretta Scott King Award: One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-Garcia

Pura Belpré Award: The Dreamer by Pam Muñoz Ryan

Edwards Lifetime Achievement Award: Terry Pratchett


Random Thoughts for Your (Possible) Edification:

--One Crazy Summer was much talked about for the Newbery win and didn't get it, but the book is still an astonishing winner overall, garnering a Newbery Honor, the Coretta Scott King award, and the Scott O'Dell award for historical fiction this year.

--Jennifer L. Holm has one of the hottest careers in children's fiction. This is her third Newbery Honor award for historical fiction, after Penny from Heaven in 2008 and Our Only May Amelia in 2000, and she is also the writer of the bestselling Babymouse graphic novel series for middle grades with her brother, illustrator Matthew Holm.

--To no one's surprise, the Printz winners are all deep, dark, depressing books. But hey, if you're up for that, enjoy!

--Not one, but two of the winners for younger readers have metafiction themes: Interrupting Chicken and We Are in a Book!

--Fantasy didn't do so well this time around, unless you count the fact that YA winner Ship Breaker is dystopian science fiction. (Oh, and, as Charlotte of Charlotte's Library points out, Terry Pratchett is another fantasy star with his body-of-work award!)

--Picture book people are shocked that neither Art and Max by David Weisner nor City Dog, Country Frog by Mo Willems and Jon J. Muth got Caldecott recognition. But Willems did earn that Geisel Honor.

--Megan Whalen Turner's A Conspiracy of Kings was also overlooked. I'm guessing it got dinged for reading a little older and for being part of a series.

--The big coup here is that Moon Over Manifest is Clare Vanderpool's first novel. Go Clare!

For additional winners/the complete list, go to the ALSC website.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you and I must have been writing posts on this at the exact same time. :)

"To no one's surprise, the Printz winners are all deep, dark, depressing books. But hey, if you're up for that, enjoy!"
HAHAHA! My thoughts exactly. I have been saying for months I'm going to read Ship Breaker but I just don't really want to.

Anonymous said...

I totally came over here just to quote and laugh over the exact same part brandy-painter just did (about the Printz). I never thought of it before, but that's probably why I've been so bad at reading--or even showing interest in-- the Printz winners ahead of time. Although, granted, when I read LAST year's Printz medalist after the fact, it turned out to be my very favorite book I read last year. (It was deep and dark but not depressing and rather hilarious, so I guess it works out that way).

Beth G. said...

The Holms have a new comic series coming out soon, too: SQUISH: SUPER AMOEBA, which I'm looking forward to.

Anonymous said...

"Not one, but two of the winners for younger readers have metafiction themes: Interrupting Chicken and We Are in a Book!"
Sitting in at the ALSC Notable Children's Book Committee this weekend at ALA Midwinter, myself and a future children's librarian colleague commented on how popular this theme is! From "My Life as a Book," "It's a Book," "We Are in a Book," "Interrupting Chicken," and a few others, maybe e-book anxiety in the book professions is making this a hot topic!

teacherninja said...

I don't feel much of a pull for Ship Breaker either, but his Windup Girl looks interesting...

Doret said...

How many times is the committee going to honor Mo Willems for the Elephant and Piggie series?

I love them and they make me smile a lot, but come on.

Kate Coombs said...

Brandy and Amy--Heehee. I occasionally feel this odd English major guilt for not liking depressing books more, since they tend to be considered more literary than the lighthearted stuff! I do want to read Going Bovine, though.

Beth--Thanks for the heads-up: now I really want to read the Amoeba books!

Library Moth--See? Thanks for listing additional examples. I had It's a Book in my head when I wrote that, but I'd forgotten My Life as a Book.

Jim--I know... I may have to break out of my children's books mode to read WG!

Doret--You know, I think it's like Russell Freedman with nonfiction. How much competition is there, comparatively speaking? Writers of MG and YA have a lot more titles to go up against than do writers of easy readers, nonfiction, and some of the other smallish categories. I still think the winners in these groups are outstanding, but I'm guessing that's one reason we sometimes see the same names over and over.

MotherReader said...

Moon Over Manifest was a surprise in that I'd never heard a thing about it, but the realistic, historical fiction with a poverty bent is right up the Newbery alley.

I was never convinced of a Caldecott for either Art & Max or City Dog, Country Frog - though I also had seen buzz for both. Both seemed in their illustrations to be slightly weaker versions of the artists best work - Flotsam and Zen Shorts - and not particularly innovative. I really, really thought on that count that Chalk, by Bill Thompson should take home an award, because the illustrations are amazing!

Kate Coombs said...

MR--Funny, I wasn't that in love with Art & Max or City Dog, Country Frog, either, but there was a lot of Caldecott and even (for the latter) Newbery buzz around those two titles! Your point about the books not being their best work is well taken. And yes, Chalk IS marvelous. Amos McGee is just really solid storytelling, I think. And I adore Interrupting Chicken! Nice to see humor get some recognition.

MotherReader said...

How did Comment Challenge work out for you? Even if you didn't make the five-a-day goal, come by the Finish Line at http://www.motherreader.com/2011/01/comment-challenge-2011-finish-line.html