Wednesday, December 16, 2009

A Book about Books

I was at a teachers' meeting yesterday and one of my friends had torn out an ad from his New Yorker for me, prompting me to throw my hands up and ask the universe: "Why haven't I heard of this before?" Anita Silvey, who is known for her books recommending children's literature, has edited a collection of brief essays by famous people about children's books that have affected their lives. I can't review Everything I Need to Know I Learned from a Children's Book yet, but I just ordered it and I'm looking forward to reading it by the fire with a cup of hot chocolate in hand over the holidays...

A few of the names mentioned in the ad are Julianne Moore, Jon Scieszka, and Robert F. Kennedy Jr., with more than 100 contributors included. According to the San Francisco Chronicle, quoted on Amazon, "This handsome compendium is dense and delightful. And the longish title is a perfect catalyst for more conversation, in classrooms and at the dinner table. What children's book taught you something valuable? Discuss."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yum yum!